Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Siphon Draw To The Basin

Today I took Jackson and Alex to Siphon Draw trail head, and this time we actually made it up to the Slick Rock Basin.
It was a beautiful day!And a nice time of year, it rained a couple days ago...so everything was blooming and green.Jackson and Alex loved running around in the basin...we were all alone the whole trail and in the basin...so they were free to run around as much as they wanted.Jackson is my buddy!

Now, the scary story of how Alex barely escaped death by rattlesnake bite!

We were leaving the basin, there is only one way down...next to boulders, tall grass and some trees. On the way up to the basin I had been mindful of snakes, but not super concerned. The sun wasn't out and it was still too cold. But now that we were headed down, it was about 10am, and about 85 degrees. Perfect weather for sunning rattlesnakes.

I made sure to have a short leash on them, so they wouldn't poke their noses anywhere it wouldn't belong.

Anywho, we are heading down the basin, and walking along the grass. All the sudden there's this high pitched screaming rattly sound. Jackson yelps and starts running backwards, Alex starts crying and is peeing everywhere. OMG, Alex just got bit by a snake! I'm running backwards pulling them away from the grass as fast as I can. I don't see a snake over there, but I'm not wasting any time.

I rip off Alex's backpack to check where on her stomach or legs she got bit...I can't find anything, and I see a puddle forming under her backpack. It's then I remember what Alex's backpack was holding...the first aid kit. I open the pocket, and sure enough, the pressurized can of saline had punctured from the pressure and was leaking everywhere. The squealing sound was the air and water leaking out of the can, and so was the peeing. Jackson and Alex just got scared because of the sudden noise in unfamiliar surroundings.

Alright, so she didn't nearly escape death, or a rattlesnake bite....but regardless I had to sit down for about 15 minutes after that to regain composure, because I was shaking and crying a little bit. Thinking that my little girl was just bit by a rattlesnake and I am now 2 hours up a mountain and there is a rattlesnake along my only path down.

Needless to say we didn't see any snakes that day. Plenty of lizards though. And the sounds of the wildlife was fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment